Re: Compress while EXPORT.. but the unix process never dies...

From: Thomas A. Lowery <stlowery_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:00:34 -0500

rm -f mypipe
mknode mypipe p

cat mypipe | gzip -9 - > oracle.dmp.gz&  # start the compression in
                                         # background.
pp=$!                                    # get the process id from
                                         # previously background
... export stuff here ... file=mypipe

echo "$0 status message here, export `date`"

wait $pp                                 # wait until the background
                                         # process is completed.
echo "$0 completed export using compression process $pp `date`" exit

nohup the complete script for disconnected execution.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Lowery	stlowery_at_yahoo.com
http://tlowery.hypermart.net