8.1.6 install and character set

From: John Dunn <john.dunn_at_sefas.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:36:37 -0000

Have just done a 8.1.6 install on a virgin machine and a starter database was created. It did not ask me to specify a character set...or did I miss it?

Can I change it now?

John

 From: Kim Anthonisen <KIA_at_ecsoft.dk>
 Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:37:26 +0100
 Subject: SV: PL/SQL vs Java Stored Procedure

Hi

It depends, it's absolutely not a statement which holds for all the code that exists.
Code closely related to the database is - off course - faster executed in the database.

What you might be thinking about is, that Oracle precompiles the Java code, so that it is faster when executed in the database compared to when executed in a normal runtime environment.

But there are a lot of features etc. in Java which might be slow when done in PL/SQL.

Also you have to take into account when to convert from Oracle datatypes to Java and back. It's costly.....

When the pl/sql procedure is slow, you may get improved performance in Java, but this - off course - depends.....

The main benefit - as I see it - is that you now can write object oriented code in the database.

Does anybody have some experience?

;-)
Kim