RE: Sys Admin tool and where is OralceStart<sid> service - NT

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:15:15 -0000

Sean,

Not to sure about the admin assistant problem, but I also don't have the OracleStart<sid> service any more. This seems to have been taken over by OracleService<sid> in new releases.

I have the 8I Admin Guide, where it describes setting auto start on the actual service - Administering a Database 7-9 (page 199).

Also, there was a discussion on the list about the length of a SID - Also lifted from the same guide (page 194):

---snip---
Each Oracle instance must have a system identifier (SID). A SID is a unique name for an Oracle database instance that can be up to 64 alphanumeric characters in length. ---snip---

So it is also a little more than 8 huh?

HTH Mark

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie