SV: PL/SQL vs Java Stored Procedure

From: Kim Anthonisen <KIA_at_ecsoft.dk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:37:26 +0100

Hi

It depends, it's absolutely not a statement which holds for all the code that exists.
Code closely related to the database is - off course - faster executed in the database.

What you might be thinking about is, that Oracle precompiles the Java code, so that it is faster when executed in the database compared to when executed in a normal runtime environment.

But there are a lot of features etc. in Java which might be slow when done in PL/SQL.

Also you have to take into account when to convert from Oracle datatypes to Java and back. It's costly.....

When the pl/sql procedure is slow, you may get improved performance in Java, but this - off course - depends.....

The main benefit - as I see it - is that you now can write object oriented code in the database.

Does anybody have some experience?

;-)
Kim

Author: Arul kumar
  INET: rakumar_at_mahindrabt.com

The information in this e-mail and any attached files is confidential.  It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee.  Any unauthorised
disclosure or  use is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient of
the message, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
information in any medium.  The views of the author may not necessarily