RE: 8.1.6 install and character set

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:53:23 -0000

Was this on an NT machine? AFAIK on an NT install, Oracle will set this based on the setting of the NT O/S. You can check what character set you are using (and all other NLS parameters) by doing a select * from v$nls_parameters

Mine is set to:

NLS_LANGUAGE
ENGLISH NLS_CHARACTERSET
WE8ISO8859P1 I know that you can alter this with an alter session, so I should think that you could also do this by setting it in your init file (BUT am not sure).

HTH Mark Leith
Cool Tools UK Ltd

T: 01905 330 281
M: 07771 691 122
E: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

"Everbody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer!"

---snip---

Have just done a 8.1.6 install on a virgin machine and a starter database was created. It did not ask me to specify a character set...or did I miss it?

Can I change it now? Received on Wed Jan 24 2001 - 07:53:23 CST