Oracle 9i and 32-Bit oracle

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:38:14 -0600

Hello All,
 We received following from our Oracle Rep. regarding 9i and 32-Bit versions. Wonder if anyone else received any such information. At least Oracle won't charge twice as much for a 64Bit version (compared to 32Bit:)..

Greetings,
As of Jan. 22, 2001, there will be no 32 bit version of Oracle RDBMS for the IBM RS6000 AIX/SP2 platforms and HP-UX V11 platform. V8.1.7 will be the terminal release for 32 bit versions for these platforms. Your migration path is to convert to the 64 bit version on these platforms. There is no additional charge for the 64 bit version.

You can read the details of the "Oracle Platform Strategy" at http://platforms.oracle.com/ao-pcgi-bin/getfile.htm?279303&htm Also note on this web page that Solaris 32 bit is not included. We do intended to release a 32 bit version of 9i. It isn't known at this time what version will be the last 32 bit release for Solaris.

In addition, 9i is not expected to be released for the following platforms: Silicon Graphics, SCO Unix, Novell, DG Aviion, and Siemen Reliant.

If this causes an impact to your operations or long term planning, please provide this information and other feedback to your Account Management. Received on Wed Jan 24 2001 - 14:38:14 CST