RE: Opinions on Performance Tuning Software

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:17:25 -0800

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0865B.CFE6CFD0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Sorry I'm late, busy day today.
Disclaimer: I've only been at quest for less than a month, so I'm not fully familiar with all their products.
Spotlight is used for graphical displays of the current areas of high activity in the database. You can look at the top sessions and the queries by session, tablespace usage, etc... For background monitoring you have to tie it in with another Quest product called IWatch.

My personal opinion of graphical tools (I've been using quite a few of them since I've been employed at Quest)
a) There's probably nothing displayed by the tools that you couldn't find by yourself with the right database queries. However - the tools usually show it to you in a display that's much easier to read, and it's much more convenient. You see the list of queries, click a button and the explain plan for the selected query shows up. I am a firm believer in SQL scripts but the GUI is definitely better. That's why you see people typing in documents in Microsoft Word instead of vi.
b) Having a graphical tool that shows you everything does not mean that you can take an Oracle novice and expect them to know what to do. A DBA is still needed to interpret the data and know what actions need to be taken. c) If you are using a graphical tool, for each action that the graphical tool can take, it behooves you to be able to duplicate the same action using SQL scripts. For one thing, you will learn more that way. Also when you switch jobs you don't know that the new company will have the same tools, so you should be able to find the same information with no extra software. So I would say - first try to duplicate what the tool is doing with SQL scripts. Once you know how to do that, then use the "fancy" software. Also having scripts enables you to check that your helper program is showing you accurate results.

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, California 92618
U.S.A.
http://www.quest.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0865B.CFE6CFD0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>RE: Opinions on Performance Tuning Software</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;From: Mark Leith [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk">mailto:mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk</A>]<= /FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Sent: mercredi, 24. janvier 2001 11:41</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;If it is like Spotlight (Quests diagnostic tool) =
then you have to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; have the client open to monitor the database, =
and cannot monitor</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; in background (I think anyway, maybe Jacques =
could clarify).&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sorry I'm late, busy day today.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Disclaimer: I've only been at quest for less than a =
month, so I'm not fully familiar with all their products.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Spotlight is used for graphical displays of the =
current areas of high activity in the database. You can look at the top = sessions and the queries by session, tablespace usage, etc... For = background monitoring you have to tie it in with another Quest product = called IWatch.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My personal opinion of graphical tools (I've been =
using quite a few of them since I've been employed at Quest)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>a) There's probably nothing displayed by the tools =
that you couldn't find by yourself with the right database queries. = However - the tools usually show it to you in a display that's much = easier to read, and it's much more convenient. You see the list of = queries, click a button and the explain plan for the selected query = shows up. I am a firm believer in SQL scripts but the GUI is definitely = better. That's why you see people typing in documents in Microsoft Word = instead of vi.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>b) Having a graphical tool that shows you everything =
does not mean that you can take an Oracle novice and expect them to = know what to do. A DBA is still needed to interpret the data and know = what actions need to be taken.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>c) If you are using a graphical tool, for each action =
that the graphical tool can take, it behooves you to be able to = duplicate the same action using SQL scripts. For one thing, you will = learn more that way. Also when you switch jobs you don't know that the = new company will have the same tools, so you should be able to find the = same information with no extra software. So I would say - first try to = duplicate what the tool is doing with SQL scripts. Once you know how to = do that, then use the &quot;fancy&quot; software. Also having scripts = enables you to check that your helper program is showing you accurate = results.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>------</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>any ignorant comments made are the sole =
responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon = my employer.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jacques R. Kilchoer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(949) 754-8816</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Quest Software, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>8001 Irvine Center Drive</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Irvine, California 92618</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>U.S.A.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://www.quest.com" =