FYI: dbassist

From: Vadim Gorbounov <vgorbounov_at_simplyengineering.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:53:46 -0500

        Hi, fellow DBA,

        Not to start holy war, but this may be a good lesson to learn, how GUIs may make DBA's life easier. Recently, I decided to use dbassist to create new database - configure everything, save scripts and run. Upon a time a noticed - SYSTEM is unusually large and growing fast.

        Investigation revealed the root of the problem - SYSTEM had minimal extent size set to 640K, this mean, any expanding system object took at least 640k for the nest extent, even if NEXT is set to 10k - 630 K wasted !

        After I revised database creation scripts, and found the following lines in the <SID>run1.sh (generated by dbassist)

<SCRIPT>
@/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql; REM ********** ALTER SYSTEM TABLESPACE ********* ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM
DEFAULT STORAGE ( INITIAL 64K NEXT 64K MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED PCTINCREASE 50);
ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM
 MINIMUM EXTENT 640K;
</SCRIPT>

        The last line silently did space management optimization for me! In GUI this value (640K) is NEXT allocation for autoextend option, and mast look like

 AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 1280K,  MINIMUM EXTENT never referenced in GUI.

        I dont argue, in some cases fragmented free space may be an issue, (still have serious doubts about it), but otherwise i've got SYSTEM 500M+ for really small DB.

        Did I miss sometihing from Installation Guide?

	Vadim Gorbounov,
	Oracle DBA

Author: Helmut Daiminger
  INET: hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com