Re: Question on ORA-12154

From: <achoto_at_american.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:44:20 -0500

I recently was having the same problem. The way I fixed it was to ensure I had a tnsnames.ora in two places:

c:\orawin95\net80\admin
c:\orawin95\network\admin

I was missing the net80 one. Once I copied the one in network admin to net80 admin my problem was resolved.

Ana E. Choto
Systems Programmer
American University
e-Operations

                    William Rogge
                    <William_Rogge_at_v        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    oltek.com>              cc:
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    root_at_fatcity.com        Subject:     Question on ORA-12154

                    01/23/01 02:10
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

I have a 7.3.4 UNIX instance of oracle and an 8.1 PC instance. Through tnsping, I can verify I can locate both instances. When I start sqlplus on the PC, I am unable to connect to any database instance other than the on the PC. TNS always returns the error 'ORA-12154; TNS:could not resolve service name'.

My conception was that if the service could be TNSPING'ed it should be accessible.

Who knows, it may be the way I am composing the host string. I have tried simply the TNS name, and fully qualified name but neither works.

Author: William Rogge
  INET: William_Rogge_at_voltek.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 23 2001 - 14:44:20 CST