Data Dictionary

From: <Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:12:34 -0500

Listers:

I am embarking on a project that uses DB2 data accessed through Oracle's Transparent Gateway. Environmental modeling that uses this data will be outsourced to consultants, and I've got to be able to tell them what this DB2 data is. Since the DB2 folks have never documented their data, and have a very weird and different way of designing their database, the first phase of this project is to deliver a Data Dictionary with er diagrams of DB2 data so that we can understand what we have. (I know that this is goofy and that they should have been doing this all along, but I'm doing the best I can with what I have.) The DB2 folks have asked that the data dictionary process, after it's initial creation, be automated.

I'm wondering how other folks handle their production environment and metadata requirements. In our Oracle shop, which I'm responsible for, nothing goes into production without an ER Diagram, appropriately sized and tuned objects, and comments on the objects to place into Oracle's data dictionary. This has done well for us. How do other sites handle this type of thing when multiple DBMSs are involved? I always seem to have such a culture difference with the DB2 side of our house, and wonder if it's me or 'them'. Their methods, which they tell me are typical of DB2 sites, seem so illogical and time-consuming, not to mention costly.

Any insights from experienced folks would be appreciated.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District 2379 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34604
352.796.7211 Ext 4033
Fax: 352-754-6776
sherrie.kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us Received on Sat Jan 20 2001 - 07:12:34 CST