RE: Passing Multiple Records

From: Sam P. Roberts (ZADCO ITIS) <roberts_at_zadco.co.ae>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:35:17 +0400

 List
Can anybody answer this query or does anybody know where there is a white paper or document on the subject.
Every now and then financial users throw in a Oracle FSG Report. These reports are completely un-optimized and perform like dog****. The reports read millions of rows, run for 3-5 hours, slow the system down no end. Now I know about the 'knee-of-the-curve' theory for CPU'S, and about how queues effect response times, but I'd like to understand more is a) how oracle deals with the large running SQL query i.e. does it split into multiple tasks within queues (flooding the queues) b) Existing Connections to Oracle in this scenario appear to function normally, yet new connections are very slow, therefore is Oracle running some kind or internal priority system or is it the O/S (Unix)

 The FSG Report when running takes 50% of CPU resources. This situation is being rectified so I'm not looking for advice on scheduling etc.., I'm interested in how Oracle Internals work. Thanks in advance Received on Fri Jan 19 2001 - 23:35:17 CST