RE: Migratiing database from oracle7.1 to oracle8i

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:39:43 -0600

Hi Bipin,
 You did not mention what platform the 7.1.6 database is running on. If it is on HP-UX 10.20, and you are moving to HP-UX 11.0, then consider following things:

  1. HP-UX 11.0 must be installed fresh (if it is new machine, then that's not a problem). Oracle won't like 10.20 'upgraded' to 11.0.
  2. Migrate 7.1.6 database to 7.3.4 on HP-UX 10.20 first.
  3. Install 7.3.4.1 for HP-UX 11.0
  4. Restore your 7.3.4 database from HP-UX 10.20 under HP-UX 11.0 using method of your choice(export/import, cold bakup, hot backup etc). Take a backup (cold, preferred).
  5. Install Oracle 8i on HP-UX 11.0. Install the Migration Utility from 8i under 7.3.4
  6. Follow Migration Utility Guide to migrate 7.3.4 database to 8i
  7. Take another backup of 8i database (cold, preferred). Last year we moved several of our databases using this method. The migration utility is fast and worked well. However, if you are considering to go 64-bit with 8i and HP-UX 11.0, I think you will have to perform export/import when getting the database to HP-UX 11.0 64-bit Oracle. We did not choose 64-bit. Secondly, if the 7.1.6 database is not on HP-UX platform, then you will just have to export/import the database. HTH.. Good Luck. - Kirti Deshpande