RE: URGENT --- shutdown immediate taking long time!

From: Weerd Kirsten, E.C. de <Kirsten.deWeerd_at_Oranjewoud.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:46:55 +0100

There's a good chance the DB is performing some king of rollback. One or more of Oracle's background processes is probably using as much CPU as it can get.

Also, if a transaction was running B4 the shutdown and has not yet reached a point where it can be aborted by Oracle, this will prevent your system from coming down. Again, check what process is using the CPU.

You can issue a shutdown abort which will bring the DB down right away, but remember that whatever Oracle is doing in the background, will resume once you bring the DB back up again. If it is a user's process that is keeping the DB from shutting down, there will be some recovery by Oracle.

Greets,

Kirsten