RE: Can't Reduce System Tablespace Datafile Size

From: Brian Wisniewski <brian_wisniewski_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:58:21 -0800 (PST)

Unless this changed in 8.1.7 and I didn't hear about it I stand by me earlier statement that you CANNOT have a locally managed system tablespace. The docs for 8.1.5 and 8.1.6 are WRONG!

Doc ID: Note:112951.1
Subject: Creating a Locally Managed System Tablespace Type: BULLETIN
 Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
Creation Date: 19-JUN-2000
Last Revision Date: 25-AUG-2000
Language: USAENG

PURPOSE

To address locally managed system tablespaces.

SCOPE & APPLICATION

Database Administrators, and Oracle Support employees.

CREATING A LOCALLY MANAGED SYSTEM TABLESPACE

The Oracle 8i Concepts guide page. 3-8, states that you can specify that the system tablespace be created as locally managed by including the extent management local clause in your create database script......It states as follows:

"For the SYSTEM tablespace, you can specify EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL in the CREATE DATABASE command"

The truth however, is that neither Oracle version 8.1.5 OR 8.1.6 supports the concept of a locally managed system tablespace.

In Oracle 8.1.5, any attempt to add the EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL clause to your create database command will result in a syntax error OR an ORA-600 [3810] error. In Oracle 8.1.6, any attempt to do so, results in no error....But the clause is ignored.

Locally managed system tablespaces are simply not yet possible.

RELATED DOCUMENTS

[BUG:809225]