RE: Import from Oracle into SQL*Server Slightly off Topic...

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:42:27 -0000

Jack,

Have you tried exporting the data to an ASCII, and then importing it into SQLServer with BCP? You have to create the table in SQLServer first of all, so this will give you a chance to try and set the data types correctly.

BCP is extremely quick, but I think that it doesn't log the inserts. Also depending on the index structures, and size of the import file, you may also neeed to rebild your indexes again.

HTH Mark

Mark Leith
Cool Tools UK Ltd

T: 01905 330 281
M: 07771 691 122
E: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

"Everbody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer!"

---snip---
Hi All,

We have a bunch of people here (Sponsored by toys'r us no doubt) that are trying to get data from Oracle into SQL*Server. I know this is off topic for this list but hey no harm in trying.

The import utility that comes with SQL*Server (uses ODBC) has problems importing quite a few tables.
I have the feeling that it has something to do with the number field with precision.
Anybody here with experience with this matter??? Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 05:42:27 CST