Re: OT: Oracle + Other DBMS's

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:03:59 -0500

Ruth,
Congrates and good luck in your endevors. I was use to Oracle on HP and then (retired with a golden handshake) and = found employement where the os is Novell and Oracle. New strange animal = that I had to learn and understand. Now we are thinking of upgrading the = Oracle to run on a Compac OpenVMS server. Something new to learn. I = received my new pc the otherday and decided to load WinNT as the os and = Oracle 8.1.6 for learning purposes. I would not like to transition to a = new os and Oracle at the same time. The learning curve is to sharp under = those conditions.
 I have always believed that a day you do not learn something is a day = wasted. I would welcome the opportunity to improve my work location and be = able to learn new os's at the same time. The Oracle skills are basicly the = same across platforms, it is just the implementation and querks that you = have to learn.
 Iwould not be afraid that your Oracle skills will deminish. They will = grow as you learn the implementation of thjem on different platforms. Good Luck
ROR m=AA=BF=AAm (I will be looking from the other side of the fence for = a while.)

>>> lkoivu_at_qode.com 01/18/01 07:46AM >>>
Good morning everyone,=20

I've been job hunting as of late. I interviewed at a place that wants an Oracle DBA to run one Oracle database (on NT), one problematic Informix database/application (on HP/UX) and a whole slew of SQL Server databases. The people are very nice, which is a good change, I've interviewed places where the dba's there were just nasty, maybe they felt threatened. But, = if
I decide I am interested in this position, I'm afraid of losing touch with my Oracle skills and spending all my time learning NT, Informix and SQL Server. The benefits for this position are incredible (never receiving a traffic ticket again is a real possibility).

My question is: How many of you are responsible for databases that run on multiple DBMS's? Do you see that as a good thing or bad thing? =20

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933=20
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com=20

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com." Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 11:03:59 CST