RE: Max length of SID in Oracle 8

From: ODell, Charles <odellc_at_spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:14:58 -0500

Once upon a time I heard that the first 4 character of the SID is hashed to determine an address in memory for the SGA.

Ergo it was concommitant that when there is more than one database the difference in names must occur somewhere in the first four characters.

It is concievable that although there is a difference, two different 4 letter combinations can hash to the same address.

Have heard about this actually happening. No matter what the SID the DBA wound up in the same database.

(Urban Legend?)