Re: PL/SQL coding style

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:31:36 -0500

GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? GOTO? Use GOTO, GOTO directly to jail, do not pass GO, do NOT collect $200. I've worked at places where you would be FIRED for such a thing!

There a VERY rare occassions to use it but I have never run into one. EXCEPT for Visual Basic. Most handlers are written On Error Goto Handler_Name and it is best used when an error handling CLASS is being implemented.

I feel bad for you. Don't back down on the issue as far as YOUR code goes. Are there other programmers there? I find that when a coder gets things to work, no one really cares HOW he did it as long as it doesn't break. I ran into this in my current position. We had a guy that just threw poorly written things right into production (NO STAGING)! Everyone thought he was great b/c he got things done! After he left, I was asked to make some functionality changes. Got alot of heat from the client b/c I had to pactically re-write the entire app (a few of them).... it was sooooooo bad, no comments. etc. But I stood my ground, discussed it with my technical manager and got the support of several other developers. I got the ok to do it the *right* way. In the end, the client was ecstatic! Why? Because it never broke! And the old program was always breaking. After 2 1/2 years on that project, it was completely changed around with full client support for doing IT RIGHT! I was able to cut their support hours down from 30+hours a week to under 5 with some weeks no support at all! They are VERY pleased.

PLUS, if you start a job that forces you to use bad programming techniques, then eventually you will lose your edge , skill, and marketablility. Only you need to find a way to *present* the issue. I had to go up against the *guru* too, but in the end EVERYONE was pleased. Less down time, less support time (less $ for them!) and the client now has complete faith in our department.

On the other hand, yeah, hit him over the head. HARD. Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 12:31:36 CST