RE: Import from Oracle into SQL*Server Slightly off Topic...

From: <nlzanen1_at_ey.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:34:17 +0100

Hi All,

Unloading to a flat file etc.. is an option that I don't mind using but=  the
SQL*Server people here do not know much about importing stuff into SQL*Server and untill I have kids to repair databases for I do not real= ly
feel the urgency to waste my time on learning either. SQL*Server comes with a tool that that can do the import directly from Oracle through ODBC (Looks simple enough). It seems to not like the "NUMBER" datatype with precisions e.g. NUMBER(10) or NUMBER(8,2).

If I delete the precision it seems to be a lot happier. it's just that you'll have to manually define the precision in the SQL*Server "databas= e"
on import.

Anybody seen this and knows a way around it.

Jack

                                                                       =

=20
"Mark Leith" =
=20
<mark_at_cool-too To: Multiple recipients of= list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> =20 ls.co.uk> cc: =
=20
Sent by: Subject: RE: Import from O= racle into SQL*Server Slightly off =20 root_at_fatcity.c Topic... =
=20
om =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
18-01-2001 =
=20
12:45 =
=20
Please respond =
=20
to ORACLE-L =
=20
=
=20
=
=20

Jack,

Have you tried exporting the data to an ASCII, and then importing it in= to
SQLServer with BCP? You have to create the table in SQLServer first of = all,
so this will give you a chance to try and set the data types correctly.=

BCP is extremely quick, but I think that it doesn't log the inserts. Al= so
depending on the index structures, and size of the import file, you may=

also
neeed to rebild your indexes again.

HTH Mark

Mark Leith
Cool Tools UK Ltd

T: 01905 330 281
M: 07771 691 122
E: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

"Everbody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer= !"

---snip---
Hi All,

We have a bunch of people here (Sponsored by toys'r us no doubt) that a= re
trying to get data from Oracle into SQL*Server. I know this is off topic for this list but hey no harm in trying.

The import utility that comes with SQL*Server (uses ODBC) has problems importing quite a few tables.
I have the feeling that it has something to do with the number field wi= th
precision.
Anybody here with experience with this matter???

Jack
---snip---

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
De informatie verzonden in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en is
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Openbaarmaking,
vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie =
aan
derden is, behoudens voorafgaande schriftelijke toestemming van Ernst &=

Young, niet toegestaan. Ernst & Young staat niet in voor de juiste en
volledige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, n=
och
voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan. Ernst & Young kan niet garanderen dat e=
en
verzonden e-mailbericht vrij is van virussen, noch dat e-mailberichten
worden overgebracht zonder inbreuk of tussenkomst van onbevoegde derden=
.

Indien bovenstaand e-mailbericht niet aan u is gericht, verzoeken wij u=

vriendelijk doch dringend het e-mailbericht te retourneren aan de verze=
nder
en het origineel en eventuele kopie=EBn te verwijderen en te vernietige=
n.

Ernst & Young hanteert bij de uitoefening van haar werkzaamheden algeme=
ne
voorwaarden, waarin een beperking van aansprakelijkheid is opgenomen. D=
algemene voorwaarden worden u op verzoek kosteloos toegezonden.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The information contained in this communication is confidential and is
addressed. You should not copy, disclose or distribute this communicati=
on
without the authority of Ernst & Young. Ernst & Young is neither liable=
 for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in th=
is
communication nor for any delay in its receipt. Ernst & Young does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained =
nor
that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interferenc=
e.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please retu=
rn
the communication to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.

In carrying out its engagements, Ernst & Young applies general terms an=
conditions, which contain a clause that limits its liability. A copy of=

these terms and conditions is available on request free of charge.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=