Off Topic: Obtaining Thousandths of A Second from the O/S (SOL ARIS)

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:54:10 -0800

A member of our controls group, they're the people who actually run the accelerator, is talking about storing "real time" status information of various components in oracle. She needs to store the status time down to milliseconds. So sysdate will not do. I was thinking of using an oracle date field, plus another field to store the fractional seconds.

Is it possible to get milliseconds from a solaris O/S. When I was researching the infamous 248 days bug, I found that the time tick in solaris can be set to either hundredths or thousandth's of a second. Those with it set to thousandth's of a second would have seen the bug in 24.8 days. The clock ticks on our machines are set to hundredths of a second. Is it possible to get thousandths without changing this setting

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 15:54:10 CST