Re: data query question

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:02:39 +0100

"Rivera, Claudia" wrote:

> Hello everyone:
> I have a question about a query dealing with dates.
> This is my origina query:
> select distinct to_char(question_date,'DD-MON-YYYY') from student_profile
> where student_id = 10;
> I get the following results:
>
> 04-JAN-2001
> 05-JAN-2001
> 07-NOV-2000
> 08-NOV-2000
> 09-JAN-2001
> 14-NOV-2000
> 15-DEC-2000
> 15-NOV-2000
> 18-JAN-2001
> 19-DEC-2000
> 20-DEC-2000
> 21-DEC-2001
>
> I am getting the correct results, but not in the order I expected
> (chronological order). I have tried "order by question_date' but no success.
>
> Thanks in advance!

> Author: Rivera, Claudia
> INET: crivera_at_utep.edu

Claudia,

 You have two ways to do it.
 Either you add 'distinct question_date' to your list of columns (select list), order by it and specify

column question_date noprint

at the SQL*Plus level.

Or you specify the date format beforehand alter session set nls_date_format ...

which makes the 'to_char' unecessary and allow you to sort on what remains a date, i.e. in chronological order. Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 14:02:39 CST