Re[2]: Re[2]: snapshots

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:30:41 -0500

James,

    Well I guess we all suffer from a little fog once in a while. In my case it was getting the reply out rather hastily. Therefore,

    In Oracle 8+ the default for a snapshot is to use the source table's primary key, not the rowid. Therefore if the snapshot and the snapshot log are created with the default they will not contain a rowid column, but a copy of the primary key column(s). On the other hand, if the "with rowid" option is specified in both the 'create snapshot' AND 'create snapshot log' commands then the rowid becomes the primary key of the snapshot. In either case a primary key will exist in both the snapshot and snapshot logs which the DB can use to uniquely identify the rows in the snapshot that require maintenance.

    Now to the original question, would the refresh fire a query against the source table. Depends. If the dml is an update or insert yes it will. If it's a delete then it won't. In either case there will be a primary key of sorts used.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Re: Re[2]: snapshots
Author: james ellis <jellis24_gso_at_yahoo.com> Date: 1/16/2001 9:05 AM

I am sorry I don't think I was clear with my answer. In the snap$_table_name table there is a field that stores the rowid of the record from the master table. I would think if a record is in the mlog$ table with a delete dml type Oracle can delete it from the snap$_table_name table by using rowid.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
Author: james ellis
  INET: jellis24_gso_at_yahoo.com