fine grained access control

From: Helmut Daiminger <hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:45:59 -0800

Hi!

I have a question concerning fine grained access control which I can't quite figure out from the documentation:

  1. Does the security policy for a table only work for different Oracle users? i.e. does everybody have to have their own Oracle user? E.g. if i have 1000 users accessing the table, I would have 1000 concurrent database connections, which has a huge performance and ressource impact on the server.

Or can I connect to the database through the same user (e.g. DBCONNECT) and look up the users and their privileges from a table in the database?

b) What is the performance impact of fine grained access control? Is it noticable? What about when it is used with nested selects?

c) Are there any limitations to the type of SQL statements that you can use finde grained access control with? What about the usage within PL/SQL?

This is 8.1.6 on Win2k. Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 11:45:59 CST