Re: Unix ownership/group of files created via Oracle

From: <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:09:45 -0800 (PST)

John,

The usual method for this involves setting the SGID bit on a directory where the files will be written.

Here's an example. We'll use SCOTT of the famous 'scott/tiger' Oracle account.

Scott has written an application REMAP that uses UTL_FILE to create some OS files. The problem he's running into is the one you decribe below.

The files are created, but if you are not in the 'dba' group, you aren't allowed to read them.

Scott does however belong to the 'developer' group. If I create a special directory where these files are to be located, I can make sure that Scott can always read his files.

# must be root to do this
# make a new dir for the files

mkdir /or001/app/oracle/utl_file/remap

# change ownership

chown oracle:developer /or001/app/oracle/utl_file/remap

# set the SGID bit on the dir

chmod g+s /or001/app/oracle/utl_file/remap Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 12:09:45 CST