Re: RE: CA Unicenter TNG

From: Cyril Thankappan <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2001 19:48:16 -0000

Hi!

 But isn't its software distribution module  the 'ultimate' way in distributing client  software (.fmx etc...)

 In its absence how does one distribute .fmx es??

 Thanks

Hi Patrice,=20

Avoid it. And if you do get stuck with it, do not use the scheduler. =20

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at http://bol.rediff.com

 From: "Ferris, Shawn" <Shawn.Ferris_at_twtelecom.com>  Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:56:43 -0700
 Subject: RE: Starting up Oracle with "missing" datafiles

This is completely untested. I'm fairly confident this is the correct way. I may have left something out however. At the least this should get you looking in the right direction.

For each file in the tablespace(s):

alter database datafile '/path/to/filename' offline drop;

Then:
alter database open;

drop tablespace tbsp_name including contents cascade constraints;

(I would probably rebuild the controlfiles after this. This begs the question.. Why not just create a new database?)

HTH
Shawn M Ferris
Oracle DBA - Time Warner Telecom

------------------------------

 From: "mala singh" <mala_singhm_at_hotmail.com>  Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:01:47 -0000
 Subject: HOT backup implementation on net appliances.

Hi Gurus
Can any one suggest me oracle hot backup implementation of on net appliances.If some has done such implementation please send the steps if possible.
Thanks in advance
Mala

 From: bsilverio_at_necc.mass.edu
 Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:04:25 -0500 (EST)  Subject: Re: Unix question : how to interpret fsck output ?

It is NORMAL for a mounted and active filesystem to show errors. Unmount the filesystem and rerun fsck. If it shows errors with the filesystem unmounted then you should CONSIDER fixing them. I STRONGLY suggest you take a good backup before attempting to fix these. They could just be old lost parts of files.

If you do have disk corruption, the next question is where did it come from? Are you having system crashes? Have you lost power to the system recently? These are the normal cause of disk errors (that must be an oxymoron)

If these have suddenly shown up all by themselves then it is time to have someone fix your hardware. It could be a disk drive or it could be the controller. Are there problems on more than one disk? If so, consider the controller as suspect.

If you have a service contract --- holler to them for help.

Good luck
Brian

 From: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
 Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:06:27 -0500
 Subject: Re:CA Unicenter TNG

Patrice,

    CA is a 4 letter word around here. They come BEFORE Oracle as to con= suming
the wallet. Let me put it simply, we had a license for Platinuum's Plan Analyzer, 5 seats. CA wanted $100K to renew the support license. My bos= s let
us buy a brand new Oracle server license instead.

Dick Goulet

Subject: CA Unicenter TNG
Author: "Boivin; Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> Date: 1/15/2001 11:15 AM

Has anyone tried to install this?

I am evaluating a copy of it now.

Any comments on their product, or on the company?

Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA) Received on Mon Jan 15 2001 - 13:48:16 CST