RE: RE: MTS vs. Dedicated connection

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:09:07 -0400

That's a little worrisome.

My Oracle8i instructor (the one who said he could not make MTS work) = said
that eventually, Oracle plans to phase out dedicated connections.

One student asked how this could be, it isn't possible to restart = databases
via MTS because none of the processes are up. The instructor didn't = have an
answer for him.

Is this a bad rumour, that Oracle will eventually drop dedicated = connections
and try to get everyone to connect via MTS? Just wondering. It sounds silly but you never know.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

	Author: "Boivin; Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
	Date:       1/11/2001 8:28 AM

	Maybe someone has managed to make it work, but during my Oracle 8i
Upgrade
	course the instructor mentioned that he never managed to make MTS
work in
	Oracle7, and in 8i he couldn't make it work either.

	I installed 8.1.6. on a test server here, I spent about a day trying
	connect to it remotely, finally I put (server=3Ddedicated) in my
tnsnames.ora
	file and surprise, all the problems went away.  I am almost using
the very
	same configuration that we are using for Oracle7, except for the
	listener.ora file where SID has been replaced by SERVICE_NAME.

	During that day I tried to understand the info on how to configure
MTS for
	8i, but the examples never seemed to quite fit my situation - which
is very
	simple:  I want my users to be able to connect, and I want to be
able to use
	MTS server-side.  We are using TCP/IP, and my test server here is an
NT
	machine.  If connection pooling and multiplexing works, all the
better, but
	after a day of tweaking those .ora files the ability for clients to
connect
	became a lot more important than those other improvements to MTS.

	If someone has managed to make MTS work properly in 8.1.6, I would
like to
	hear about that.

	Regards,
	Patrice Boivin
	Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

	Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
	Technology Services        | Services technologiques
	Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
	Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

	E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

	Author: Boivin, Patrice J
	  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

	San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

	--=20
	--=20
	Author:=20