Re: Recovery of table from hot-backup - HELP

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:02:29 -0500

Fred,
 If you have the disk space available on a server why not create a new = instance that will hold the tables you need and then copy the data to the = new tables. You can use a database link for the copy and the access of the = data storred in the tables.
ROR m=AA=BF=AAm

>>> fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com 01/10/01 02:36PM >>>
DBAs, (I'm usually just a reader of this list, but here's a go at being = a=20
poster for once!!!)

   I have a question for you DBAs out there that run VLDBs and have = some=20
good experiences with them. I have hit my max on db_files and maxdatafiles= =20
and need to free up some files by deleting a few tables. (I can not=20 shutdown the database to recreate the controlfile to increase these = values).=20
  I want to delete a large table I have that spans 10 partitions that = are=20
each in their own datafile (thus freeing up 10 files). I have a full = backup=20
from the first of the month. I want to truncate and drop the table as = well=20
as each of the OS files making up each partition. MY QUESTION IS: If = I=20
need emergency access to this table again at a later date is there any = way=20
that I can pull it from this full backup?? (The table is too large to=20 export)

I would assume there is no way since dropping the table would update = the=20
control file to reflect this change and would eliminate the ability to=20 "restore" any object. Is this also true had the table been in read-only=20=

mode??

Thanks a lot,
  -Fred Smith

--=20
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20 --=20
Author: Fred Smith
  INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 07:02:29 CST