Re:RE: ResetLogs

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:29:41 -0500

Yong,

    One of the purpose of a cold backup is to have a complete copy of the database that can be restored somewhere else & immediately started. In that case you need ALL of the database files, temp, rollback, and online redo logs as well as the working tablespaces. One other point to consider is that during a shutdown where the current redo log is not full it is not copied to the archive location as part of the shutdown. Instead the DB will restart where it left off in that log.

I know Oracle recommends otherwise, but in all of our backups I recommend backing up everything. It burns more tape, but it also has saved my bacon in the past. Therefore, if in doubt, back it up.

Dick Goulet

Subject: RE: ResetLogs
Author: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1/10/2001 2:55 PM

Hi, Christian,

Why do you have to back up redo logfiles when you do cold backup? Are you saying there could be some remaining redo records left in redo logs, even with a normal shutdown?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

"Trassens, Christian" wrote:

No if it is a cold backup. However and in terms of recovery, if you don't backup the redo logs, you'll need it.

Oracle recommends not to backup redo logs, but in the case of cold backups you should do it because of the absence of archives.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/

Author: yong huang
  INET: yong321_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 08:29:41 CST