RE: MTS vs. Dedicated connection

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:06:39 -0400

Maybe someone has managed to make it work, but during my Oracle 8i = Upgrade
course the instructor mentioned that he never managed to make MTS work = in
Oracle7, and in 8i he couldn't make it work either.

I installed 8.1.6. on a test server here, I spent about a day trying to connect to it remotely, finally I put (server=3Ddedicated) in my = tnsnames.ora
file and surprise, all the problems went away. I am almost using the = very
same configuration that we are using for Oracle7, except for the listener.ora file where SID has been replaced by SERVICE_NAME.

During that day I tried to understand the info on how to configure MTS = for
8i, but the examples never seemed to quite fit my situation - which is = very
simple: I want my users to be able to connect, and I want to be able = to use
MTS server-side. We are using TCP/IP, and my test server here is an NT machine. If connection pooling and multiplexing works, all the better, = but
after a day of tweaking those .ora files the ability for clients to = connect
became a lot more important than those other improvements to MTS.

If someone has managed to make MTS work properly in 8.1.6, I would like = to
hear about that.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO