RE: RE: ResetLogs

From: Richard Ji <richard_at_letsplay.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:07:50 -0500

Yong,

I agree with you that there is a small benefit as you described. However, I would like to point out that there is also a risk when you backup online redo logs for cold backup. Let say that you need to restore part of the cold backup during a recovery. The SA might accidently (or think he heard you say that :) ) restore the online redo logs thus over writing your existing online redo logs. Now you won't be able to do a complete recovery. I think that's the reason Oracle recommend NOT to backup online redo logs for cold backup. I think Oracle support has seen enough of this happened. :)

My 2 cents

Richard Ji