Re: [Problem connecting from JDBC]

From: S Jayakumar <sjayakumar2000_at_usa.net>
Date: 10 Jan 2001 15:42:11 MST

Please check the following ,

Hope this may help
Jay

"Ravindra basavaraja" <ravindra_at_sentica.com> wrote: We have a java application that connects to the database using JDBC.At so= me
point
the java application cannot get connected to the database.

I was told to stop and start the listener.I dont' know if the listener is=

hanging.
After doing this the connection gets established.This happens everytime. But when the problem is happening I can still make a client connection fr= om
the Oracle
client on NT.If the listener was hanging then the Client connection would= n't
have got
conencted.

Can anyone tell me how to identify where the problem.I am the DBA and I think that
this is not a Listener problem but the developers are telling that this i= s a
database
related problem as they don't face this problem when working on other databases.
This happens only with the testing database.

Thanks

Ravindra

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- =

Author: Ravindra basavaraja
  INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=3D= 1

 From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
 Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:56:40 -0800 (PST)  Subject: RE: ResetLogs

Hi, Christian,

Why do you have to back up redo logfiles when you do cold backup? Are you saying there could be some remaining redo records left in redo logs, even with a normal shutdown?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

"Trassens, Christian" wrote:

No if it is a cold backup. However and in terms of recovery, if you don't backup the redo logs, you'll need it.

Oracle recommends not to backup redo logs, but in the case of cold backups you should do it because of the absence of archives.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/

 From: "Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)" <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>  Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:04:20 -0000
 Subject: RE: sql statement "hanging" and unable to query v$lock - Oracle 8

Hi,

Try querying dba_blockers and dba_waiters - these might give the sid of = the
blocking session.
If these views don't exist then you can create them with the = catblock.sql
script found in rdms/admin directory.

Also, if you have OEM, try using the lock monitor tool.

Alternatively, if it doesn't show up here, look in dba_lock_internal. = The
following is the query I use - this will sometimes show up blocks that = don't
show up in dba_locks.

select * from dba_lock_internal
where=20

       ( mode_held =3D 'Null' OR mode_held =3D 'None' )    AND ( mode_requested <> 'None' )
;

 select * from dba_lock_internal
 where
   mode_held <> 'Null'
   and mode_held <> 'None'
   and lock_id1 =3D 'as appropriate- based on what came back from the = first
query'
 ;

Hope this helps.

Bruce Reardon
mailto:bruce.reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au