AW: <defunct> process in AIX

From: Haunschmidt Andreas VASL/FAS <Andreas.Haunschmidt_at_voest.co.at>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:39:18 +0100

There is no way to remove a zombie process except by rebooting. I doubt that AIX would allow you to remove the /dev/tty1 while it is in use.

How does the C program terminate? Is it killed manually? Kill -9 doesn't give the process a chance to do a cleanup, such as closing open files.

To avoid zombies one solution would be to use something like the alarm() system call and
a signal handler in the C program. This way the C program could handle situations
like timeouts/hangings on the port and signals sent to the process.

Hope this helps.