RE: delete tablespace file

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:02:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Mike,

In addition to what others say, you can use the command ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE to recreate the datafile you just deleted. It actually works quite nicely. From documentation
(http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a85397/stateme3.htm#2048938)
on ALTER DATABASE:

Begin quote:
CREATE DATAFILE
 Use the CREATE DATAFILE clause to create a new empty datafile in place of an old one. You can use this clause to re-create a datafile that was lost with no backup. The 'filename' must identify a file that is or was once part of the database. The filespec specifies the name and size of the new datafile. If you omit the AS clause, Oracle creates the new file with the name and size as the file specified by 'filename'.
End quote

Oracle seems to be doing something another poster couldn't figure out how to do
(I couldn't either), i.e. if a file is deleted on UNIX while a process is
holding on it, how do you recover the file? I don't think the data in the deleted file are in Oracle memory or OS memory except for the cached portion. It's simply the fact that UNIX holds onto the file which is on disk until all processes exit.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

I have a question about something I ran across while testing.

I've created a tablespace and file, created table within that tablespace. Now I perform maint on that table and commit. If I delete the file for that tablespace, I can continue to see that table and do maintenance on it.
WHy?

Is the whole table in the buffer or rollback segments?

I want to write something regarding recovery about how an instance will detect a tablespace file if its deleted while the instance is up

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 23:02:10 CST