RE: TEMP Tablespace is full????

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:44:02 -0800 (PST)

Mike and others,

Jonathan Lewis's article (http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/smon_i.html) and Steve Adams' site (http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/admin/stray_temp.htm) both talk about why sometimes you do need to manually wake up SMON to clean up temporary segments and how. Among several ways to wake up SMON, Steve recommends oradebug wakeup [SMON pid].

I believe Oracle's official answer to the problem several listers have experienced (i.e. manually wake up SMON to get users' work going) would be like "increase your TEMP tablespace size". (Maybe your TEMP tablespace is big enough while Winnie Liu's is not) Sure that can also solve the problem. It comes down to a balance between how much CPU you want to allocate to foreground server processes vs the instance background process.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

I agree that you can force SMON to drop temporary segments in a TEMPORARY tablespace as you suggested. My point is that you should gain nothing from doing this as the allocated space isn't 'unavailable' in any sense.

I seem to be ploughing a bit of a lonely furrow here but I've never had to clean up temporary segments in a TEMPORARY tablespace. I used to regularly need to clear temporary segments from old-style PERMANENT tablespaces.

Regards, Mike Hately, DBA

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 23:44:02 CST