Oracle performance - please help

From: Viraj Luthra <viraj999_at_lycos.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:27:07 +1000

Hello every one,

I have just created a database in Oracle on aix4.33. Since my data base is new and created fresh, all my hit ratios are great. But I am not able to get any activity in there. So please help in the following 2 areas:-

1.How do I create activity in my database, that is all the hit ratios will show some realistic figures. By creating activity, I mean, let the database do something.May be I could run some adhoc sql statements etc. Hit ratios like Database buffer, library, data dictionary hit ratios etc.

2. Also what performance metrics I could paint. Eg I know one that is, I could see how many sessions are waiting, after I get the number of sessions, then I can drill down into 1 session and see what is the session waiting for, and then I see whether it is waiting for a particular latch or lock or something, and then I further drill down and see what lock it is and what type of lock?

Therefore please advise, as to what all scenarios you DBAs out there would like to see from a performance tool. I would like to make these kind of situations.

Please help at the earliest, any kind of leads or books or ideas will help.

Thanks and Regards,

Raja

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 23:27:07 CST