Off Topic: Unix problem on SunOS 8

From: Viraj Luthra <viraj999_at_lycos.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:45:44 +1000

Hi,

Apologies for going off topic but I need help.

The following piece of code is giving me a problem on SUNOS 5.8 or Solaris 8:-

   CheckAgtB()
  {
     awk "BEGIN {rc = $1 + 0 <= $2 + 0 ;} END {exit rc}" /dev/null
     return $?
  }

if CheckAgtB $tmpspaceavail $tmpspaceneeded; then
   ECHO "Sufficient space available."
fi

The above code basically compares tmpspaceavail value with tmpspaceneeded. If tmpspaceavail is more than tmpspaceneeded (which will be the case), then it returns true and prints the message "Suffecient space available".

But that piece of code does not work on Solaris 8 but does work on other platforms like AIX 4.33 or HP 11etc.

Could you please help. I have tried different calculating utilities like bc or expr but none seem to work. Please help.

Regards,

Raja

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 23:45:44 CST