Triggers are wonderful things... Ora-2069 global_names error

From: Bowes, Chris <Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:40:09 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C07A5A.D4A1B86C

        charset="iso-8859-1"

"HELLO! I'm TRIGGER. T-R-I double GUH -ER TRIGGER!"

"You are?" Asked pooh pulling his nose out of the honey jar. "That's nice. What's a trigger?"

"Woo hoo hoo hoo hoo! He asked! WHAT'S A TRIGGER? WHY THAT'S EASY! The wonderful thing about triggers is triggers are wonderful things. Their tops are made out of headers, their bottoms can have lots of strings. They insert, update, delete and more, they're fun, fun, fun, fun, fun the most wonderful thing about triggers is, I'm the only one! Oh, I'm the only one. Grrrarrr"

"Well", said Pooh chuckling, "You are the only one that doesn't work. You can't call a package to update a record."

"I can't call a package?" Asked Trigger. "Of course I can. Calling packages to update records is what Triggers do best! So what's the problem?"

"Well, everytime you try to update across the database link to the other base, you mess it up. You cause an ORA-2069 error", replied Pooh, "I need you to call a routine to update records on this post insert or post update and succeed"

"Update after an insert or update. Why that's what Triggers to best. Here come some inserts and updates, watch me update that other base..."

"Hey you Blokes! C'mon. Update you chump! Global name? My name is global name is Trigger! That's good enough. Let's go. Update." Crash, bang, boom.

"Hmph", said Trigger folding his arms and looking defiant. "Triggers DO NOT like calling an update across a database link."

"Oh bother. Now what do I do?", sighed Pooh.

Just then, the NarrDBAtor made a suggestion. "if you turn to the middle of page 163, Trigger asks the Oracle List if they have seen this before." Trigger jumped up. "HOO HOO! Letters is what Triggers do best. I'll go do it. TTFN. Ta ta for now!" BOING, BOINg, BOIng, BOing, Boing, boing....

So then Trigger did indeed write the Oracle List to ask just that question. Pooh has a trigger that needs to needs to call a package to update a base across a database link. The problem is the "ORA-2069 global_names parameter must be set to TRUE for this operation" error hitting on a table. If the package calls for an insert, it works just fine. If it calls for a delete it works fine. Just on updates it causes this. This is a system at a friends site so I am not sure what kind of paticulars there are. It's an Oracle 8 base updating an Oracle 7 base via the database link. All the bases are on NT. Other packages work to other bases so I am pretty sure the listener stuff is set up right. I do not think they can turn on GLOBAL_NAMES as there are several interfaces going to and from these bases and that may mess some of them up. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you in advance

--Chris
Chris.Bowes_at_Kosa.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C07A5A.D4A1B86C

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Triggers are wonderful things... Ora-2069 global_names =
error</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;HELLO!&nbsp; I'm TRIGGER.&nbsp; =
T-R-I double GUH&nbsp; -ER&nbsp; TRIGGER!&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;You are?&quot;&nbsp; Asked pooh =
pulling his nose out of the honey jar.&nbsp; &quot;That's nice.&nbsp; = What's a trigger?&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Woo hoo hoo hoo hoo!&nbsp; He =
asked!&nbsp; WHAT'S A TRIGGER?&nbsp; WHY THAT'S EASY!</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The wonderful thing about triggers is =
triggers are wonderful things.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Their tops are made out of headers, =
their bottoms can have lots of strings.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">They insert, update, delete and more, =
they're fun, fun, fun, fun, fun</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">the most wonderful thing about =
triggers is, I'm the only one!&nbsp; Oh, I'm the only one.&nbsp; = Grrrarrr&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Well&quot;, said Pooh chuckling, =
&quot;You are the only one that doesn't work.&nbsp; You can't call a = package to update a record.&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;I can't call a package?&quot; =
Asked Trigger.&nbsp; &quot;Of course I can.&nbsp; Calling packages to = update records is what Triggers do best!&nbsp; So what's the = problem?&quot;</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Well, everytime you try to =
update across the database link to the other base, you mess it = up.&nbsp; You cause an ORA-2069 error&quot;, replied Pooh,&nbsp; = &quot;I need you to call a routine to update records on this post = insert or post update and succeed&quot;</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Update after an insert or =
update.&nbsp; Why that's what Triggers to best.&nbsp; Here come some = inserts and updates, watch me update that other = base...&quot;</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Hey you Blokes!&nbsp; =
C'mon.&nbsp; Update you chump!&nbsp; Global name?&nbsp; My name is = global name is Trigger!&nbsp; That's good enough.&nbsp; Let's go.&nbsp; = Update.&quot;&nbsp; Crash, bang, boom.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Hmph&quot;, said Trigger folding =
his arms and looking defiant.&nbsp; &quot;Triggers DO NOT like calling = an update across a database link.&quot;</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Oh bother.&nbsp; Now what do I =
do?&quot;, sighed Pooh.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Just then, the NarrDBAtor made a =
suggestion.&nbsp; &quot;if you turn to the middle of page 163, Trigger = asks the Oracle List if they have seen this before.&quot;&nbsp; Trigger = jumped up.&nbsp; &quot;HOO HOO!&nbsp; Letters is what Triggers do = best.&nbsp; I'll go do it. TTFN.&nbsp; Ta ta for now!&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp; = BOING, BOINg, BOIng, BOing, Boing, boing....</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">So then Trigger did indeed write the =
Oracle List to ask just that question.&nbsp; Pooh has a trigger that = needs to needs to call a package to update a base across a database = link.&nbsp; The problem is the &quot;ORA-2069 global_names parameter = must be set to TRUE for this operation&quot; error hitting on a = table.&nbsp; If the package calls for an insert, it works just = fine.&nbsp; If it calls for a delete it works fine.&nbsp; Just on = updates it causes this.&nbsp; This is a system at a friends site so I = am not sure what kind of paticulars there are.&nbsp; It's an Oracle 8 = base updating an Oracle 7 base via the database link.&nbsp; All the = bases are on NT.&nbsp; Other packages work to other bases so I am = pretty sure the listener stuff is set up right.&nbsp; I do not think = they can turn on GLOBAL_NAMES as there are several interfaces going to = and from these bases and that may mess some of them up.&nbsp; Anyone = have a suggestion?&nbsp; Thank you in advance</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">--Chris</FONT>