For large databases, how do you ...

From: Donita Hilfinger <dohi_at_gwl.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:53:13 -0700 (MST)

Our management is asking us how best to decrease our downtime window especially with database migrations. Then management is asking how others do it. So, if you don't mind and if you have 1 or more medium to large Oracle databases, could you please respond to the following questions:

  1. How large is (are) your database(s)?
  2. How did you migrate from 7.x to 8.x?
  3. How long did it take for each large database you migrated?
  4. How long was the database(s) unavailable?

I realize that "large" database is relative. I am talking about databases in the gigabytes and terabytes or larger. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
donita

Donita Hilfinger                      donita.hilfinger_at_gwl.com
ISIS Oracle Database Administrator            Ph:(303)737-4179
Great-West Life Assurance Co.                Fax:(303)737-4850
8515 E. Orchard Rd, m/s 5T2 Received on Tue Jan 09 2001 - 16:53:13 CST