Re: Performance: NT vs. UNIX

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:16:00 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 Dan.Hubler_at_Metavante.com wrote:

> Used to have just a philosophical debate.
> Now we are getting into a debate about performance involving the NT bigots
> and the UNIX bigots.
>
> The latest TPC benchmarks put out by Microsoft appear to have put alot of
> people in a tizzy about performance.

The system built by IBM was strictly for benchmark purposes.

It was built by a handpicked IBM team, and used an architecture that would not work well for production. (it's fragile)

It's no doubt a great achievement, and great fodder for the resume mill, but I don't see that it proves anything that applies to the real world.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;) jkstill_at_teleport.com
jared_still_at_enron.net Received on Mon Jan 08 2001 - 11:16:00 CST