How are session data handled in an internet application using Oracle technology??

From: Kam Chan <kchan_at_speednet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 06:00:29 +1100

------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C07938.4DE29BC0 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Dear list,

I recently worked on an e-commerce system in a dotcom, they used = Microsoft technology and Oracle backend. One thing I noticed in the = architecture was the use of session server to keep track of customer = session data, I was told that because HTTP is a stateless protocol and = we needed to keep track of what customer had selected on the web page, = that why we needed this concept of session server. I also dealt with = Oracle Application Server (OAS) when I worked with Oracle Apps and = Discoverer setup, I didn't remember reading about keeping track of = session data using OAS (may be it was there and I didn't realize), is = anyone out there who had used Oracle technology in a dotcom env give = their experience of how session data were handled in the OAS world? Also = I often heard about the term "persistent connection" in relation to = e-commerce type application, what actually is the term refer to?? Is it = what keeping session data about?? I don't think it means permanent = connection to the database because web type transaction don't open a = permanent connection to the database, they normally come and go very = quickly.

Someone told me the reason why some web sites are really quick when = displaying a lot of info and graphics is because most of the info are =

cached. I was told Amazon.com is one big example where most lookup info =
were cached in a cache server, people browsing the site is reading info =
off the cache server (that why it is speedy) and the database server is =
reached only when a transaction is committed. Can someone who had = experience on this architecture share their experience??

KC

------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C07938.4DE29BC0 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b8b8b8>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Dear list,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I recently worked on an e-commerce =
system in a=20
dotcom, they used Microsoft technology and Oracle backend. One thing I = noticed=20
in the architecture was the use of session server to keep track of = customer=20
session data, I was told that because HTTP is a stateless protocol and = we needed=20
to keep track of what customer had selected on the web page, that why we = needed=20
this concept of session server. I also dealt with Oracle Application = Server=20
(OAS) when I worked with Oracle Apps and Discoverer setup, I didn't = remember=20
reading about keeping track of session data using OAS (may be it was = there and I=20
didn't realize), is anyone out there who had used Oracle technology in a = dotcom=20
env give their experience of how session data were handled in the OAS = world?=20
Also I often heard about the term &quot;persistent connection&quot; in = relation=20
to e-commerce type application, what actually is the term refer to?? Is = it what=20
keeping session data about?? I don't think it means&nbsp; permanent = connection=20
to the database because web type transaction don't open a permanent = connection=20
to the database, they normally come and go very quickly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Someone told me the reason why some =
web sites=20
are really quick when displaying a lot of info and graphics is because = most of=20
the info are cached. I was told Amazon.com is one big example where most = lookup=20
info were cached in a cache server, people browsing the site is reading = info off=20
the cache server (that why it is speedy) and the database server is = reached only=20
when a transaction is committed. Can someone who had experience on this=20 architecture share their experience??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>KC</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>