RE: OFF TOPIC: How do you organize all your technical info !!!

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:49:52 +1000

Hi All,

Now there is an apocryphal story, if ever I've heard one! The apocryphal gospels were in fact rejected as heretical from the outset. There were a small group of disputed writings, and it took several centuries before there was consensus as to which of those should be regarded as authoritative, but the apocryphal gospels were never even considered. The decisive criterion for the disputed writings was whether the documents were either written or endorsed by one of the apostles. Hebrews was accepted because of its early association with Paul, despite its unknown authorship. Revelation was accepted because it was written by John, despite that some disliked it. A handful of works were not accepted despite having orthodox teaching and bearing the name of an apostle because they were thought to have been written pseudo-epigraphically in the second or third centuries. It seems that the early church got it right. There are thousands of manuscript fragments extant today that date all the New Testament books to the apostolic era, and none for the extra-canonical writings. There have been subsequent challenges to the inclusion of James and Revelation in the New Testament, most notably by some of the leaders of the Reformation, however it was because they regarded them as having little or no theological value, rather than that they doubted their authenticity.

I have a file system based "knowledge base" and some Perl code to build an index. To find information, you just grep the index. Here is the code if anyone is interested.

	#!/usr/bin/perl
	use File::Find;
	open INDEX, "> /home/steve/index.txt";
	$base_path = "/home/steve/kb";
	find(\&get_words, "$base_path");
	sub get_words
	{
	    return unless -T;                    # only scan text files

$path = $File::Find::name; # get path from doc root
$path =~ s|$base_path/||;
print INDEX "$path"; # start line with pathname open FILE, $_; # read the entire text
$text = lc(join("", <FILE>)); # and convert to lower case
close FILE;
$text =~ s/<([^>])*>//gs; # strip out all html tags
# consider words in reverse order foreach $word (reverse(sort(split(/\s+/, $text)))) { next if $prev =~ /\Q$word\E/; # skip words matching the previous print INDEX " $word"; $prev = $word; } print INDEX "\n"; } @ Regards, @ Steve Adams @ http://www.ixora.com.au/ @ http://www.christianity.net.au/ <- some good material here