Re: OFF TOPIC: How do you organize all your technical info !!!

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:10:00 +0100

--------------117F02CC282F89313E4312E6

Kam,

   Was discussing this topic with a seasoned SE the other day. He had bought some (text) information management package, and told me he had found it totally useless and, in his opinion, there was nothing such as the AltaVista software on his PC - the Web type of search. As far as I am concerned, when I get to something really interesting, e-mail, doc or whatever, I print it. This allows me to scribble totally unrelated notes on the back or, when the back is full, between paragraphs. I stack everything on my desk, and usefulness shows when docs tend to stay towards the top of stacks. Natural selection occurs when papers fall off the desk, pushed by others, which usually mean they can be trashed. Nothing truly innovative here, I have read somewhere than in the early days of the Christian church to decide which were the truly holy scriptures competitive books where put on a table and what fell off is known today as 'apocryphical gospels'. A rather innocent form of 'judgement of God'. In a way, much more honest than many a benchmark.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation