RE: microsoft sql vs. oracle

From: Jeffery Stevenson <jeff_at_mpv.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:13:24 -0600

  I agree that MS worked hard on the self-tuning on SQL Server, but = most of
that is for "common" scenarios. In Oracle we know that we can tune = every
database exactly the same way every time and it will work just fine, = right?
:) I haven't played with SS 2000 yet, but unless they made a lot of = changes
from 7, then the options for tweaking it behind the scenes still don't = give
you a lot of control over the system. Anyways, the biggest thing that should be a factor between choosing either of these databases is which = can
you work best with...if you know SQL Server inside and out, you might = have
the appropriate database concepts to work with Oracle, but it will take = you
a while before you can get it to run as smoothly for you as a similar = SQL
Server database. A heavy familiarity of Unix over NT/Win2K can also = make a
big difference. If you feel comfortable with backup & recovery for one database but not the other, which one do you think you'd have a better chance of recovering data on? Should the decision be based on the = technical
merits of the software or the strengths of the people you'll have = supporting
it?
  As for the other original questions, yes MSSQL Server can store = images and
the maximum storage for each is "lots" (don't know the newest exact = numbers
for each, but it's up there...as long as you can afford the hardware to store and push all that data effectively, there shouldn't be a = problem). 2=A2
off to the ether...

Jeffery Stevenson
Chief Databeast Tamer
Medical Present Value, Inc.
Austin, TX

From: mRT Bonner [mailto:ravendarke2000_at_yahoo.com]=20 Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 10:56 AM=20 To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L=20 Subject: Re: microsoft sql vs. oracle=20

I think the single biggest difference (of many)=20 between MSSQL Server and Oracle is the level of=20 control you have over what the database is doing. MS=20 continues update SQL Server with one thought in mind,=20 'Get rid of the DBA'. That's their pitch, in a lot of=20 cases. DBA's are expensive. MS SQL Server is written=20 so the coders can handle the database. And that's=20 fine, if that's what you are looking for. If you need=20 it to do something that MS hasn't forseen, however,=20 you kind of have to go around your head to get to your=20 rear.=20
Martin Bonner=20
Oracle DBA=20
Ex-MS SQL Server DBA=20
--- bunyamin karadeniz <bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr>=20 wrote:=20

--=20
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20 --=20
Author: mRT Bonner=20
  INET: ravendarke2000_at_yahoo.com=20
Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051=20
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists=20