What can free space in a TS?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:59:01 -0600

So, there I am, with a 20GB 8.0.5 DB. I don't like the idea of using PCTINCREASE>0 in anything non-SYS, so some our TSs will get freespaces that need manual coalescing -- no biggie.

However, we have one of TS that regularly shows up in the DBA_FREE_SPACE_COALESCED view with a PERCENT_EXTENTS_COALESCED < 100 or a PERCENT_BLOCKS_COALESCED < 100, yet it has no tables (no other objects exist) that are either deleted or truncated. I've confirmed this with auditing of TRUNCATE and DROP.

Given that, how else could freespace fragment?

I'm guessing it's something simple, but yesterday was Beer Day (erm, "Payday"). ;)

TIA,

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan VirusWall. Received on Fri Jan 05 2001 - 12:59:01 CST