Question about OLAP, ROLAP etc.

From: Helmut Daiminger <hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:38:40 -0800

Hi there!

We are about to introduce Data Warehousing into our shop and I haven't had much exposure to that so far.

I have a question about OLAP and ROLAP. I know what the expressions mean, but I don't know what the big difference between those two are. When are they used? And what are the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

What the Oracle Tools 'Data Mart' and 'Oracle Express' good for? Is part of their functionality already in 8i? And Oracle is going to move functionality into 9i, right?

Any input would be appreciated.

This is 8.1.6 on Win2k.

Thanks, Received on Fri Jan 05 2001 - 16:38:40 CST