Re:Hardware requirements for Oracle

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:40:08 -0500

Sherrie,

    HUMM, very nice question which will probably start a war, but what the heck.  OK, Does Oracle like multiple processors? Does a fire appreciate gasoline? answer, Yes. But more to the point, mainly because we've used both single and multiple processors (up to 4) around here and still do. Oracle will run nicely on one or more processors. What it REALLY likes is lots of memory (the more the better) and lots of disk io. Therefore, with power unit pricing in mind, use a high end single processor, double the memory your thinking of and fill the box with SCSI cards. A good 100MB network card is very helpful too.

As an example, we ran(until recently) an assembly line which supported 200 clients on an HP 9000 K460 with one 400MHZ (I believe) processor. The box had 2.5 GB of ram & 8 SCSI cards into an EMC array. Ran like crazy until HP gave us a better deal. Now were on a L2000 with 1 600MHZ processor with only 2 SCSI cards. We're just leaving the noise level on the processor, but wait io (namely the lack of disk io capacity) is raising fast. We're planning on 4 more SCSI cards.

So, get the Unix box, a good 2GB of RAM and 4 or more SCSI cards. The single processor will hold the load, believe me.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Hardware requirements for Oracle Author: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us Date: 1/4/2001 5:55 AM

Our site is acquiring third-party software budgeting software called BRASS, which uses an Oracle database. Our management is considering NT or UNIX, and for various reasons I am pushing UNIX. BRASS will have four or five users throughout the year, but for one month during the budget cycle will have up to 100 users. The planner specing out the hardware for this system is proposing a dual processor because he says that Oracle 'likes' a dual processor. I not very hardware knowledgeable, but am questioning whether or not this is needed. With power unit pricing, the number of processors drastically goes up. I have searched MetaLink and everywhere else that I can find, but nothing gives any hard facts on when a dual processor should be considered, or if it is required.

Any insights or direction to information would be greatly appreciated.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District 2379 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34604
352.796.7211 Ext 4033
Fax: 352-754-6776
sherrie.kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

  INET: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 04 2001 - 08:40:08 CST