Re:Hardware requirements for Oracle

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 12:45:05 -0800

Dick, Sherrie & folks,

In case you need it, good general NT SysAdmn/etc info:

   http://www.ultratech-llc.com/Personal/Files/?File=!Contents.TXT -
(mailing list w/ web archives for subscribers):

   http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/winnt-l.html

Can't talk Unix, but we got a NT server several months ago. We "winged it" re specs (instead of being scientific), and just went overboard to cover growth. This is relatively small db app, 20 users (will put both the db and ora web services/forms on same box though - eeeek). We got an IBM Netfinity 5100 w/ two 667mhz PIIIs (the extra processor only cost about $500). The Netfinity 5700(?) has more hot swap than the 5100, but we didn't need the extra since we can do daily full cold backups, and 98% of the time can suffer 1 or 2 days of downtime for hardware replacements.

There is definitely "conventional wisdom" that multi-processor is good for Oracle/NT (and probably a lot of other application services). I'm sure that it could be argued either way, with valid points on both "sides".

As far as I know, Dick is right that massively increasing I/O and RAM *could* be a better solution than adding processors where you have a single high end processor, and want to save on Oracle licensing (just make sure that the system can take additional processors in case you need them later). Dick's strategy *may* apply better for Unix than NT, but that is PURE speculation on my part. For us Oracle licensing is not an issue, there is an system wide educational site license (major discount), and Oracle is "free" to the user department. MS stuff (NT4 or Windows2000) is also very low cost for education sites.

regards,
ep

cc: WINNT-L_at_PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

On 4 Jan 2001, at 6:45, dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 04 Jan 2001 06:45:56 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	dgoulet_at_vicr.com
Subject:        	Re:Hardware requirements for Oracle