RE: Alternatives to REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT?

From: Shawn Ferris <Shawn.Ferris_at_twtelecom.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:52:07 -0700

Use an rsh to the remote host. The account on the remote host can then be an ops$ account. No passwords at all. (You'll have to set up .rhosts file appropriately. Assuming you are using rcp to do the file copies, this shouldn't be a problem.)

select * from v\\\$database;
EOS
"
-- End sample

Obviously you could put a script on the remote host to do the sqlplus stuff. Then it becomes a much more simple rsh command. 8) Redirect the contents to a file, or my favorite, add a while/read loop and operate on the output directly. (Yes, I still have 7.3 databases. ;) Hopefully not long though.)

You could even parse a 'tnsping' to get the host. Then you don't hard code that either. That would have the added bonus of checking availability before starting also.

HTH
Shawn M Ferris
Oracle DBA - Time Warner Telecom