Re: Table which store UserID

From: Nosie <tekait11_at_bni.co.id>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:48:43 +0700

Well, I think I start to understand a little bit....

The reason I ask this is because I just talked to a seminar participant, a database developer, and he said why I should care about the security subsystem, and build it as a part of my application. He said, I can just use the existing security subsystem from the database (using role & privileges). Usually, I create one or more
tables to store user IDs, passwords, access levels, etc and then use a common access
to the database. So, there were my application do the authentication.

If I am not mistaken, based on Mark's comment, I can design roles & privileges to meet user requirement. I think it will work perfectly fine for PL/SQL in simple application. But if we develop a more complex application, using GUI screen, have some data manipulation processes before updating/inserting a record, this method make the inconvenience to user. Cause, he can read the record, calculate it, process I, process II, take several seconds (or minutes) the when it is time to update the record, the error says "not enough privileges".

What I need in this scenario is user A can go to screen I, user B can go to screen II but not screen I, user C can go to both screen, etc....