Re: Is Replication Worth While?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:32:31 -0800 (PST)

--0-1631518149-978539551=:13356

What makes them thing that adding AR to an app is going to improve performance? Are they hoping to achieve scalability by adding more CPUs? If that's the case I think there are better options. OPS may be an option here too. In 8i it got better but there are still issues that may require application redesign. In 9i it's finally going to be ready for prime time.

What is the app anyway?

"Smith, Ron L." <rlsmith_at_kmg.com> wrote:

Just a note on the same topic.

My users are looking for ways to improve application performance. They have pretty much decided to go with replication. I am unsure that replication will add enough improvement to make it worth the time and money involved in the day to day maintenance. Has anyone implemented replication and shown a dramatic improvement in application response time?

Ron Smith
Database Administration
rlsmith_at_kmg.com

Author: Rama Malladi
INET: rmalladi_at_inteliant.com

Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

Author: Martin Kendall
INET: Martin.Kendall_at_Rubus.com

Author: Smith, Ron L.
INET: rlsmith_at_kmg.com

Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

Do You Yahoo!?
--0-1631518149-978539551=:13356

<P>What makes them thing that adding AR to an app is going to improve performance? Are they hoping to achieve scalability by adding more CPUs? If that's the case I think there are better options. OPS may be an option here too. In 8i it got better but there are still issues that may require application redesign. In 9i it's finally going to be ready for prime time.</P>
<P>What is the app anyway?</P>
<P><B><I>"Smith, Ron L." &lt;rlsmith_at_kmg.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Just a note on the same topic. <BR><BR>My users are looking for ways to improve application performance. They have<BR>pretty much decided to go with replication. I am unsure that replication<BR>will add enough improvement to make it worth the time and money involved in<BR>the day to day maintenance. Has anyone implemented replication and shown a<BR>dramatic improvement in application response time?<BR><BR>Ron Smith<BR>Database Administration<BR>rlsmith_at_kmg.com<BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 8:11 AM<BR>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L<BR><BR><BR>I have just been "pulling my hair out" trying to get <BR>a Standby working "as advertised" whereby during the day it is<BR>a "Reporting" DB and then shut down at night for recovery (to bring up to<BR>dae with the Production DB).<BR><BR>The fact is that the moment you shut down the Standby, the ARCH !
and RFS<BR>processes<BR>loose their "hand-shake" and no archived redo files are sent whilst you are<BR>recovering the Standby. When you start the Standby again (as Read Only)<BR>there are further spurious problems until you start getting the arch. redo<BR>files across again. In addition, if there are high rates of redo generation<BR>during the day, there are further problems with transmitting the files<BR>across.<BR><BR>So, in the end I set-up my own ftp based file transmission.<BR><BR>I have also set-up Replication for important Tables only and really, in my<BR>opinion<BR>it is only appropriate for data distribution and NOT a backup type of usage.<BR><BR>Martin<BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>Sent: 02 January 2001 23:51<BR>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L<BR><BR><BR>Dennis,<BR><BR>At our site, we use Replication (not for the entire DB, but only for<BR>important tables). But from the User group meetings, I get a feeling that<BR>Standby is the way to go and Oracle !
is trying hard to improve it in 9i....<BR><BR>Does that mean, Oracle prefers us to go Standby route in the long run? Can<BR>some experts share their wisdom on this?<BR><BR>Rama<BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:45 AM<BR>To: oracledba_at_quickdoc.co.uk<BR><BR><BR>Greetings,<BR>I am evaluating different High Availability options for our shop and I am<BR>kind of undecided between Hot Standby and Advanced Replication(AR) :<BR>It seems to me that Multi-master replication is a much better choice for<BR>us -- all we need is to set up two master sites<BR>with one of them read-only. Also it seems to be fairly easy to set up using<BR>Replication Manager ( it is up and running in my test instances after only<BR>one day's work including reading the docs). This will prevent conflicts and<BR>give us the extra benefit of a reporting instance. Hot Standby, on the<BR>other hand, might take longer to set up and does not provide<BR>read capability ( yes, I know in 8!
i you can open for read, but it does not<BR>apply the logs when it is in readable mode, right? ).<BR>So what caveats are associated with AR that drive people to use Standby at<BR>all? I know there might be problems with AR if the transaction volume is<BR>high. The databases here typically generates less than 100M of redo<BR>everyday.<BR><BR>TIA<BR><BR>Dennis Meng<BR>Database Administrator<BR>Focal Communications<BR>847-954-8328<BR><BR><BR>--------<BR>Think you know someone who can answer the above question? Forward it to<BR>them!<BR>to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe@LAZYDBA.com<BR>to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe@LAZYDBA.com<BR>Visit the list archive: http://www.LAZYDBA.com/odbareadmail.pl<BR><BR>-- <BR>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com<BR>-- <BR>Author: Rama Malladi<BR>INET: rmalladi@inteliant.com<BR><BR>Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051<BR>San Diego, California -- Public I!
nternet access / Mailing Lists<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message<BR>to: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in<BR>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L<BR>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may<BR>also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).<BR>-- <BR>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com<BR>-- <BR>Author: Martin Kendall<BR>INET: Martin.Kendall@Rubus.com<BR><BR>Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051<BR>San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message<BR>to: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in<BR>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB OR!